Making a generic pre-compilation engine

Nov 13, 2009 at 5:43 PM

I think genuilder is totally amazing, and has the potential to transform the way a lot of code gets written. After seeing Interface Extractor I've thought of a million other things I'd like to write generators for. Would it be possible to make some kind of pluggable model so that we can create our own transformations, and change interface builder etc. to work in the same way as them?

One could do something like scan the assemblies referenced by the current project for classes implementing the ICodeTransformer interface, and execute them on build. There could be various types (e.g. TypeDeclarationTransformer, a more general ProjectTransformer etc. etc.). It would be really cool to call into a t4 template to generate things to be added to the project. Once this thing is pluggably extendable, who knows whats possible!

Coordinator
Nov 14, 2009 at 10:29 AM

hi mcintyre,

Thanks for you enthusiasm it's good to see... :))

Indeed, I was thinking about a way to make the thing easily extensible, but I'm not sure to understand what you mean with the ICodeTransformer,

Have you some time to discuss it on MSN ? I've sent you a private message via codeplex with my messenger address.